Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Welcome

This nation has big problems, for that matter our entire world. You may think our big problems are just facts of life. This notion is reinforced by the mainstream news media arguing day in and day out about these problems. However, the more I learn about the world the more I have realized just how many of our long list of problems are in fact completely solvable. Why is it we go hungry when all along around us are low hanging fruit?!

Engineers solve problems - no ambiguity, no energy trying to convince people. Facts and analysis are our guides. If we have so many problems, then a systems engineering approach dictates that we analyze all our problems and identify the ones we can solve first, once solved we can then move on and focus our energy to the more difficult ones. Why do we burden ourselves with such a long list of problems facing the nation and the world? Let's address the solvable problems.

This is the purpose of this blog, identify easily solvable problems. These problems are so solvable that we could design a valid solution in a matter of hours and still not be late for lunch.

So why haven’t these problems been solved? Political red tape? Whiny citizens? Why can't we solve tough problems? I define a tough problem as one that requires a tough solution. By tough, I don't mean complex or difficult, just "tough." They may require some sacrifice, but if the positive outcome is better than the solution sacrifice, then the only real choice is to pull the trigger and not wait. Why haven't we acted? What are we waiting for? Political will? The next mid-term election cycle?

I am expert at some things, I have a good understanding of many things, and things I don’t know about I will either ignore or study as much as I can before I even comment. The problem with many newbie activists is that are ready to act! Too many times they don't fully understand the problem, they want to face the problem head on. As if "to die trying" is somehow noble. I have no intention to keep pounding the wall, I am looking for the doors in that wall. I am looking for solutions. Let's find them soon..... I say perhaps even before lunchtime.

Yours truly,
LabRat

No comments:

Post a Comment